First of all, Happy Birthday IWSG!!! For the anniversary of IWSG, we’ve been asked to put together a short piece on writing, publishing, or marketing. For my post, I’m going to share some tricks I use to help me stay motivated:
1. Be task-oriented. I am used to thinking of work in terms of time. As a writer, I’ve found that I need to reverse my thought processes and think in terms of what I need to get done rather than the time I will dedicate to working. This may sound zany, but it’s true.
2. Remind yourself what you should be doing. I use desktop wallpaper to remind me what I should be doing.
3. Exercise, eat right, etc. I know, I know.. But it really does help. A lot.
4. Vary your locale. I mostly write on a laptop computer, but I’m not above pen and paper. Sometimes if I’m stuck on a crowded restaurant scene I’ll go someplace crowded. For a quiet meditative moment…you get the idea.
5. Just Do It.
6. Have a Support System. It helps a lot to know there are people out there who know you are supposed to be writing.
7. Never Give Up.
8. And don’t forget to treat yourself for a job well done. Our brains are wired for positive feedback.
That’s what I’ve got from my arsenal. What do you think? How do you stay motivated?
14 thoughts on “IWSG: Staying Motivated”
Great advice, Anne! I’ve never been able to write in crowded places myself–I need quiet–but I can totally understand how a change of scenery can be good for a writer.
I find being around successful people motivates me. It makes me see what’s possible. And, traveling. Always. I come back from a trip inspired and motivated…once the jet lag fades. 😉
agreed! yes, exercise seems unrelated and yet it helps greatly, that’s what I do to fight writers block 🙂
Hi Anna! I’m visiting as one of the IWSG co-hosts today. Great motivational tricks in your post today. I hd to laugh at “Just Do It!” My youngest and published sister is always shooting that at me. I’m so glad that I discovered the IWSG. It’s a great support group! Happy writing!
Great advice, Anne. Treat yourself is such a forgotten thing. We need to celebrate our successes for the positive feedback it generates.
Funny when I see his face I think of flying through the black hehehe. Fillion is such a space cowboy 🙂
Anna from Shout with Emaginette
Hehe. Me too, Anna! I’ve never even seen Castle, but Nathan Fillion is fine and shiny with me! 🙂
Number 3, yes! I know when I don’t eat right, my energy levels drop (even more than they already are) and I can’t muster the motivation to get anything done.
Exercising and eating right makes a huge difference to my motivation.
Thanks Lynda. You are so right.
Much the same way!
Thanks for contributing to the book.
I love the idea of a wallpaper that reminds you what you are supposed to be doing. I have been so desperate as to consider a tattoo…the left hand would say “Get” and the right one would say “Writing”. (I would probably have to put ‘You Idiot’ somewhere less visible.)
I have found that writing something, and saying, maybe 30 minutes, vs. looking for that large chunk of time, gets me motivated. And, you’re right. When I take a walk and drink my water, I feel more inspired to be creative!
Play off the Page