Wow, so it’s Friday again. This week was a slow week in some ways and that’s probably because I got a lot of (boring – yawn) work done.
- Sold quite a few business writing pieces, enough so I feel almost like an actual writer. Even though I really love fiction, it gives me this happy feeling inside to know my writing is helping someone somehow. Also the money helps!
- I got a lot of yard work done, including some pruning of tree branches which I’m really proud of myself for because it’s kind of scary. Also, a little over a year into this new home I’m finally starting to figure out where everything is.
- Got my regular cardio in, including a trip to local Wildwood Park and gym trips on cloudy/rainy days. Weather has been so awesome here. I wish it could be like this forever! But I know Winter Is Coming.
- Oh yes, I’m actually reading Game of Thrones and am on the second book now. I actually started reading it over a year ago and was totally thrown by the fact that, after the creepy ghost zombie prologue, the main story starts with a beheading – and I’m supposed to like the guy who does the beheading. Yes. Indeed. And now, okay, I am loving the series.
- I’m working on this short story which I don’t even actually want to talk about right now. I sort of hate it, but in this way where I’m not sure if that’s because it is bad or if that’s because the subject matter cuts so close to the bone for me – which could mean it’s actually really good. All I know is I want to finish a rough draft and then walk away from it for a few days while I catch my breath and quietly hate on the bad guys and do other things. But first I have to finish a draft.
How was your week? Okay time for lunch and then back to work! Life is good.
It’s Friday again, time to celebrate – and better late than ever. I’ve had another long day, got quite a bit done, including the gym, housework, and lots of writing, most of it business writing – which is a phrase meaning writing lots of little things that someone will actually pay me for. Getting paid for fiction is … harder. I’ve also made some solid progress editing and rewriting my current WIP, High Water, Deep Wind – a fantasy novel about underwater dragons and the people who love them. Well, sort of.
How was your week? What’s new? What’s great?
This Friday, I am literally celebrating the small things, being back home after a whirlwind trip around the U.S., with a brief foray into Canada. I literally got home a week ago pulling an all-nighter for the last leg of my trip and getting home at 7:30 in the morning last Friday.
So, that’s the number one thing I’m celebrating this week.
Writing wise I’m celebrating finishing yet another novel draft, this being the gazillionth draft of an on-going project where I’m doing substantial editing to get my characters working together. I’m really happy with this end-to-end revision and am now determined to leave it alone for a while so I can come back with fresh perspective. I’ve sold one business writing article this week also and really need to write more. Got a couple solid days of cardio in despite not feeling so well. My body is still not accepting East Coast time despite having been home for a week.
Enjoying some really great weather here. It was really great to see the world. It is also really great to be home again.
How was your week?
How was your week? I had a fairly productive one. I’ve made definite plans to go visit relatives in Canada who I’ve never met before. Depending on the how the Fall elections go here in the States, I may just ask about moving there permanently. (Just kidding!)
My other major accomplishment this week is the re-discovery of a manuscript/story I’ve been working on since I was a small child, my first novel ever. Re-reading it and seeing the concepts I’m struggling with to this day, I’ve decided to focus my editing on getting that story ready to be published for free, online – something which I have wanted to do for over a decade now. I love this story so much and so deeply I just want it out there. But I also want it to be beautiful. Also, I’m viewing this as a necessary learning experience for myself to grow as a writer.
These little, achievable writing goals. I definitely need them.
Also this week, got my cardio in every day. In lieu of the gym most days I’ve been walking the fitness loop at the mall because it’s much more convenient to get to.
In general, it’s been a pretty good week. How about yours?
It’s Friday again and another week has past. It’s time to celebrate.
This week I’m celebrating typing The End to a novel draft, the chance to spend time with family, and some rare good weather apart from the heat and rain. In between the occasional thunderstorm and 90+ temps it’s been super pleasant. I have gotten a lot of little things done this week like a new shelf for my work nook and other small organization projects. How about you? How’s your week going?
It’s Friday and that means it’s time to Celebrate the Small Things. This week, I’m trying really hard to stay positive and it’s been hard.
I’ve been listening to Kill ‘Em With Kindness, a Selena Gomez song, on replay, and reading A Course in Miracles and Marianne Williamson’s commentary on the same. Negativity is so out there – and like this tangible force, like gravity. That said, I am proud of myself for doing everything I can think of to
fight back passively resist the pull toward hate, including, especially toward people who seem to be hateful at times. Okay, some days and some moments more than others.
Other awesome things this week. I have burned through my Nano novel and am now almost done (at just over 60k of my 70k target) after a few 5,000+ word days wherein, okay, I’m a little in love with my novel now. I don’t know if anyone else will be, but I certainly am.
Also I caught more Pokemon – this game makes me super happy because of the walking around and catching cute critters-ness of it all. Below: a local covered bridge / Pokemon gym. I covered bridges.
In addition to writing, a lot, I’ve also read a lot.
One of my summer reading lists, which I have inside my Elements of New Testament Greek text – because I’m brushing up on my Greek again partly because I think it’s funny, the expression, that looks like Greek to me. 🙂 Greek is such a cool-looking language. My reading list as I review it makes me feel like the FBI might just find me very interesting if they were to get a peek at it.
How was your week? Staying cool? Having fun? Read any good books? Write any great books? What are you celebrating?
This is my weekly blog post for Celebrate the Small Things.
I have to be honest, with recent events, I’m finding it hard to celebrate. I’m not sure why but the attack on Nice is especially unsettling to me. I can’t even fathom it.
So, I want to pause for just a second and pray for the people of Nice, France.
This week I’m celebrating keeping up with my CampNaNoWriMo goal, doing some late spring (summer I guess) cleaning, catching quite a few Pokemon AND getting most of my cardio outdoors this week. Also I’ve been reading a lot of books this summer, well, reading and listening.
You know, I think what really bugs me is – these people were trying to have fun, to celebrate – and maybe that’s why now more than ever, we need to have fun, to celebrate. One of the best things we can do today and always. Celebrate being alive, being free.
Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité